Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bitch and Ye Shall Receive...

You know how it is...you're on a quest for drop items and you get one, maybe two off the first several kills...and then nothing...for a long time. Then, finally, after about 30 dead mobs later, you say, "Gah, why aren't they dropping for me?" and all of a sudden you're getting the quest item to drop off of all the following kills.

I swear that Blizzard has a sixth sense and this, Mad Alchemist Potion, further confirms it because I had just complained about no alchemist BoP, or in this case, alchemy skill required potions on 9/1/07.

Lets take a quick look at this new potion...

Requires - Level 60
Requires - Alchemy skill of 315
Grants - 1650 to 2750 Health and Mana
Grants - Possible 'other side effect'

Basically, it's a Super Rejuvenation Potion with a 'side effect'. I've done some digging and have only found speculations as to what the side effect will be. Some suggest that it will be a short term buff of some kind, some suggested an appearance change (Noggenfoggerish), and some suggest that it will be X mp5 and X hp5 for X amount of time. Given the phrasing, I'm gonna guess that it could have just as good of a chance to grant of debuff as much as a buff.

The only good thing I see about this potion so far is the reduced cost to produce. It uses an herb that no one particularly uses much and far less herbs as well as a cheaper vial than the Super Rejuvenation potion.

Mad Alchemist Potion - 2 Ragveil, 1 Crystal Vial
Super Rejuvenation Potion - 2 Mana Thistle, 1 Dreaming Glory, 1 Netherbloom, 1 Imbued Vial

Other than the cost reduction, I'll have to wait and see what the side effects are before I decide if it's anything worth getting excited about...and even then, I doubt it will be very useful for a Feral Druid as we can not consume Potions while shape shifted. Most likely, it will be something I make and use when, on the rare occasion, I'm asked to off heal. The potions combined with the Alchemist Stone, might make for a good combination on those occasions...

All in all, though, I'm not thrilled with their choice for an Alchemists only potion...I was hoping more for an Elixir or Flask...something that grants a buff for a prolonged period of time.

2 comments:

Karthis said...

Love that it has a random effect, hate that it's not a buff potion. Oh well - it's a start.

I may quaff a few just to see what sort of nifty buffs/debuffs they bring..... I do have a soft spot for random, yet characterful, items.

Ferocious Bite said...

Yes, I'll definately be trying them out...hopefully this is a little taste of other good things to come.